Admitted Grads - Fall 2024

Congratulations and welcome to the Economics Department at UC Santa Cruz! Please take a few moments to review the information below about our programs and what you'll need to do as a new graduate student.

Important Dates for incoming graduate students, Fall 2024

  • Tuesday, September 3, 2024:
    • Math camp begins, Econ 186 for M.S. students (M-F 1:00 - 4:00 pm, in-person), and Econ 210B for Ph.D. students (M-F 9:00 - 12:00, in-person). 
    • These courses are taught in a concentrated format and will require a significant amount of work outside of the classroom. There is no additional charge or cost for these courses. Although the class is completed before the beginning of Fall quarter, students enroll and receive credit for the Fall quarter. 
  • Saturday, September 21, 2024:
    • Fall 2024 Quarter Begins
  • TBD:
    • Economics Department Graduate Student Orientation for M.S. students  (TBD)
  • Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024:  
    • Fall Welcome event TBD
    • Graduate Studentt Orientationon will be on Wednesday, September 25, 2024.
      Tentative Schedule (as of July 2, 2024)
      • 9:00 am - 10:30 am International Student Orientation (virtual via zoom)
      • 11:00 am - 12:00 pm Welcome Grad Div, GSA, GSC, Student Health Services, DRC and Dean of Students, Slug Support and Basic Needs (virtual via zoom)
      • 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm Title IX Mandatory Session. Location: Kresge Lecture Hall
      • 2:00 pm - 2:15 pm Graduate Student Association Orientation. Location: Kresge Lecture Hall
      • 2:30 pm - 3:00 p.m. UAW Mandatory Info Session. Location: Kresge Lecture Hall
      • 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm Social Networking and Campus Resource Fair (in person, location TBD, register here)
  • Thursday, September 26, 2024:
    • Fall 2024 Instruction Begins

Driver's License Information

If you are either employed or a student in California, you must obtain a California Driver's License in order to drive. This would include those on F-1, J-1, H-1B, TN, and their dependents. If you are going to purchase a motor vehicle (a car, scooter or motorcycle), most insurance companies will not provide coverage unless you have a valid California License.

To obtain a California Driver’s License contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) located at 4200 Capitola Road (near 41st Avenue) in Capitola. The telephone number is 1-800-777-0133. Their web site address is

In addition to permitting you to operate a motor vehicle, a driver’s license is also the most recognized means of identification. A California ID Card is also available through the DMV as a means of identification for those ineligible for a driver's license. You will be asked for a Social Security number and your passport to obtain either the Driver’s License or the ID card. If you are not eligible for a Social Security card, you should be able to indicate this to the DMV, and still apply for a Driver's License.


All e-mail correspondence generated from the Econ offices will be directed to your email account. PLEASE CHECK IT REGULARLY!


Registration and Enrollment

New graduate students priority enrollment begins:  June 27, 2024

Online registration can be done at the MyUCSC Student Portal. The first time you access this registration process you will be asked for your student ID number and password.

For help with your student ID and password or enrolling in a class, first check the enrollment FAQ's on the Registrar's website; call the enrollment Help Line at 831-459-4357; email, or go to their website MyUCSC Help.

Adding Classes

You must be enrolled in at least five units by Sept. 17, 2024, if you have any form of financial aid for the quarter. If you do not have financial aid, you must be enrolled in at least 5 units by October 10, 2024. A $50 late fee will be charged if you have not registered by that date. You can also check the Academic Calendar for other important dates. 


For general housing information, please see the Student Housing Services website. For off-campus housing we recommend that you begin your search early and that you apply for on-campus housing as soon as you find out that you have been accepted into the graduate program. Family student housing apartments are offered on a priority basis, with students with children receiving first priority. Here are a few numbers where you can find housing assistance:

Family Student Housing - Hagar Court Community Room 831-459-4080

Graduate Student Housing - 125 Hahn Student Services 831-459-5712

Community Rentals Office - 104 Hahn Student Services Building 831-459-4435

Bay Area Craigslist


International Students

The Global Engagement Office serves as the international student advising center. Staff members provide visa/immigration counseling concerning required course loads, financial problems and employment, plus a variety of other services to help international visitors adjust to academia and life at Santa Cruz. 

I-20/DS-2019 Requestt

Visa Check-in

Mandatory International Graduate Student Orientation

Welcome Guide

Graduate Preparation Program (GPP conflicts with our math camp and therefore is not a viable option.)

To be considered for Teaching Assistant opportunities, students for whom English is not their first language must score 26 or higher on the spoken word portion of the TOEFL iBT or a speaking score of 8 on the IELTS test. 


Social Security Card

For more information on obtaining a social security card/number contact International Student and Scholars Services by calling 831-459-2858 or emailing


Keys and Mail

Once you obtain your UCSC student ID card you will need to get it programmed to be authorized for building/lab access. Your ID card will give you access to the Engineering 2 building after hours, 7:00PM to 7:00AM and weekends, as well as specific department office space.

Graduate Student mailboxes are located in Engineering 2, room 410. You will receive access to get into the room when you get your student ID card programmed. Each student is assigned a mailfolder for official university business mail (only) - not to be used for personal mail (no bills, newspapers, personal letters). 

Parking Permits & Transportation

More information regarding parking permits can be obtained from Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS). There are alternative transportation services listed below are also available:

Campus Shuttle

For more information regarding the Santa Cruz Metro buses visit Santa Cruz Metro/Transit Online or call 831-425-8600.


If you are a graduate student researcher or a teacher's assistant, you must fill out important payroll paperwork from the Administrative Business Office.

Each student will need to provide a document that establishes personal identity such as a passport, Driver's License, State ID card, or valid Student ID. Each student will also need to provide a document that establishes employment eligibility such as a US Birth Certificate or Social Security card. All non-citizen and non-resident alien students will have to have a Social Security card and will also need to provide all visa and passport documentation, including the I-94 and I-20 forms.

For any payroll questions please contact Jenifer Sosa who is in the Humanities and Social Sciences Building, room 460. Make sure you submit your full name and email address in any correspondence.

Payroll Assistance

Paychecks are available on the 1st of the month from Hannah Peterson or Melissa Garrett in E2, room 401.

If you are an international student, you must obtain a social security number before you can open a checking account.

Student ID

How to get an ID card

Photos for graduate Student ID cards will be taken at the ID Card Services Office next to the Baytree Bookstore Building. Please prioritize getting your Student ID card. Follow instructions carefully, pay close attention to the photo guidelines. Contact us after you've received your UC Santa Cruz ID Card so we can coordinate additional programming. 

For more information, call 831-459-2990 or e-mail

Your student ID is your bus pass; if you need a temporary bus pass before you receive your photo ID, you may obtain one at the Graduate Division Office at the second floor of Kerr Hall. 

What you can do with your ID card

  • Take the bus - It is a Santa Cruz County Metro Bus Pass. A valid quarter sticker available each quarter from the Economics Department (E2 401).
  • Go to the gym - It is a Recreation Facilities Pass – with a valid quarter sticker.
  • Go to the library - It is a Library Card – UPC code on the front of your ID card is your library check out number.
  • Eat - It is a Food Service/Flexi-Dollar Card – Cafeteria food plans and declining balance Flexi card plans. Flexi Dollar Info.
  • Get into the building - Your ID is also your access card into Engineering 2 and assigned Economics Department offices.

Teaching Assistants

First-time TAs at the Economics Department are required to attend TA orientation workshops conducted by the department and complete the online TA Ethics course.

To learn more of what is expected of a teaching assistant on campus, please refer to Teaching Resources on UCSC Graduate Division website.

Contact Information

Graduate Student Staff Advisor, please contact Economics Graduate Coordinator.

Helpful Links

Please e-mail for any questions or concerns.