Declaring the Major or Minor

Photo by Elena Zhukova.

All students must complete Econ 1, Econ 2 (or the equivalent), the first calculus course (Econ/AMS 11A, Math 11A, Math 19A or the equivalent), and meet the required combined 2.8 gpa before declaring the major.  We encourage students to declare the major or minor as soon as they have completed these requirements.
  1. Print a Petition for Major/Minor Declaration and Academic Planning Form.  Be sure to indicate your expected graduation term (EGT) on the petition.  Your EGT can be found in your Student Advising Summary on your MyUCSC Student Portal.
  2. Bring verification of your grades in Econ 1, Econ 2 and your first calculus course (print out an unofficial copy from your student portal).
  3. Attend a Declaration of Major Advising Session.

*Please note:  All students who are declaring a major and a minor must get their major department signature first before getting the minor department signature.

*Students declaring the combined environmental studies/economics major must get an economics advisor's signature first.

*Students declaring the combined economics/mathematics major must get the math advisor's signature first.